Where to register a vehicle
The best spots in North America to register a vehicle by odd fringe benefits.
- British Columbia: Previously held the title for the lowest car registration fees in Canada coming in at $40-100/year.
- Ontario: As of March 13 2023 the cost for registering a passenger vehicle is $0. You still have to file yearly online renewals.
- Panama: Modern, friendly, and a strong democracy (from a memory of a recent autocrat). VAT at 7% + 5% for excise tax on cars. Registration is $20 for the inspection and $20 for the municipal paperwork. An additional $100 for registration through an entity.
Import tax, residency restrictions, and high VAT (16%). Don’t do this. There are exceptions in border areas, but they’re a pain to get.
- Alaska: Permanent registration (pay one fee and never again) of passenger vehicles 8 years or older in participating boroughs. On top of a $3k (for 2022) Permanent Fund Dividend for being a resident.
- Montana: Permanent registration (pay one fee and never again) of passenger vehicles 11 years or older state-wide. Also no sales tax in Montana, saving you on purchase fees.
Need help registering a vehicle or for a driver’s license in a new location? Contact Vraid Systems Limited for help being an employed vagabond.